Western Avenue Baptist Church began on December 15, 1901 when Second Baptist Church voted to change their name to Western Avenue Baptist Church. The church was located at the intersection of Wilson Lee Boulevard and Western Avenue in Statesville.
The church on Western Avenue flourished in the 1960s and 1970s under the leadership of Jake Huneycutt and then Ralph Carter. In 1983, the church moved from the Western Avenue location to Museum Road, our current location. The name Western Avenue Baptist Church was retained although we are now located on Museum Road. In 1989, the current sanctuary was completed.
In 1993, Skip Cartin became pastor. Pastor Cartin led the church for over two decades, faithfully teaching scripture and encouraging church members to be engaged in missions around the world. The church responded to the call and continues to serve through local missions, domestic missions, and international missions. Skip Cartin retired as pastor in 2015. Jeff Spry (our current pastor) has served in that role since 2016. He continues to lead the church with a focus on expositional preaching from the pulpit and faithful Bible teaching in every area of ministry.
At Western Avenue, we continue to grow. Construction is currently underway for a new children’s ministry building with completion projected later this year. (November 2020)
Western Avenue Baptist Church is a church ready to make bold moves and take big risks to advance the gospel and make disciples. The ultimate goal of every activity, message, and decision at this church is to glorify God. We praise Him for the way he has led our staff and church leaders each step of the way to get us to this point.